[PD] Call for Unified Libraries

Andrew (Andy) W. Schmeder andy at eh2o.ws
Wed Apr 17 01:41:47 CEST 2002

I just felt the need to give forth my 2 cents on this topic:

I don't think that a "Unified Library" is the way to go.

Rather, PD and all of its libraries need to be placed in debian or RPM
packages... easy installation, management, dependency resolution, etc
will then be possible.

With a couple simple scripts and a howto we could make it very easy for
authors to package up their externals.

The Demudi folks would probably be happy to include this stuff on their
server/in the distro.

Unfortunately this won't help the Windows folk...  All I can say on that
is that life sucks when you are locked into a proprietary system... may
as well compile a giant DLL and pray that everything works.  *grin*

If someone has a lot of time on their hands, a package management system
could be integrated directly into PD.

andy