[PD] pd-max compatibility

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Tue Apr 23 09:43:54 CEST 2002

João Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // João Miguel Pais wrote:

> I also wanted to create a kind of command-line program (I think it might be
> called "script") that would make the necessary changes in the text files
> (osc~ -> cycle~ ; correct parameters for atoms ; detection of max signal
> outlets and inlets ; etc.). Basically just a "replace" command would be
> necessary. Does anybody know if something like that already exists and can
> be easily controlled by an "amateur"?

Under Unix a standard for this is the tool "sed", the "stream editor",
which now also has found it's was into Mac OS-X. A modern version of
sed is perl. Well, perl can do a lot more, but it can also simply
replace text in a lot of textfiles.

I think, Perl is also installed on OS-X by default, but has to be
installed on W32 systems by the user. OTOH sed might come with
WindowsNT/2000. With Perl you would write a textfile called for
example "pd2max" and with this content:

s/osc~/cycle/gx;
s/old text/new text/;

and then call

$ perl -pi pd2max *.pd

which would make the programmed changes.

Ciao,
--
 Frank Barknecht                                  _ _______footils__