[PD] pd-gui wishlist

joge . gboy at nycap.rr.com
Tue Apr 23 22:16:39 CEST 2002

> As far as I can tell, PD and Tcl/Tk are married, and will be for the
> forseeable future.  If you tried to replace tcl/tk with java or
> something, you would have replace all of the gui externs as well.  I
> used to feel that tcl/tk was icky and had to go, but in actually
> learning it, I stopped caring.  Any programmer who would be able to add
> segmentation to the connectors in a java based gui can learn to use
> tcl/tk well enough in a few afternoons, it really isnt that
> complicated.  Further, if you feel really die hard about your opinion
> that Java is the way, why are you not using jMax?  It'd gui is
> "prettier" and written in Java right now.

i am not die hard java by any means .  its just the language that i have
alot of experince with and though i would through it you there to the group
for discussion .  i am new to pd so i dont know to much about its base code
structure .  so i was curious if it was even possible to attempted a gui in
java .

as for jmax , i tried to use it for a while but it is still well in it
infance it appeared to me .  i guess mostly in the sense that there is not
to much of a use group as far as i am aware .  i am subcribed to the jmax
list and the activite is mostly about the software development and
compilation of jMax .

thanks for the info though , i didnt mean to sound like java is the way to
do every thing and that tcl/tk is evil . hehe ..    with this information i
think i will looked further into tcl\tk .  is there a particularly good
resource any one can recommend ?

thanks

joge .