[PD] pd-gui wishlist

Joschi joschi at eds.org
Wed Apr 24 00:10:03 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 14:42, chris clepper wrote:

> >Yes, but as it's wishing time ;) I would also like the PD gui to be
> >faster. Some patches, especially those with lots of number boxes, run
> >a lot faster when pd is started with -nogui
>
> this should not be on a wishlist, it should be a high priority!  at
> first i thought that Xwindows was to blame but it's the same under
> windows.  i don't know if it's pd or tcl/tk that's causing the
> problem, but it's appalling to see a few spinning number boxes eat
> 25-40% on a 1.4ghz cpu!!!   especially when i have pathetic old macs

I have never seen "a few spinning number boxes" eat up more than 1-2% on
my athlon 1.4ghz ... If you honestly see such thing, you should submit a
patch demonstrating this problem to the list.  Miller is terrific about
fixes problems, but noone can fix a problem if they dont have a specific
test case.

-Josh