[PD] soundcard noise

intent intent at club-internet.fr
Thu May 2 02:25:17 CEST 2002

Le Mercredi 1 Mai 2002 20:32, "Andrew (Andy) W. " Schmeder a écrit :

> Other things you can try:
>
> - Run PD w/ realtime priority (using the -rt flag and a set-uid bit)
> - Close/shutdown as many applications as possible
> - Use a lightweight window manager (e.g. fvwm, twm...)
> - Get a faster computer
>
> However nothing you do can assure the absence of a click since Linux is
> not a real-time operating system.

That's true but you can use the low-latency patch from:
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html#downloads

I applied the 2.4.18-rc1-low-latency.patch.gz one on the 2.4.18 source tree
and despite a few patching warnings it compiled fine.

Right now i am using it and cannot hear clicks anymore when switching of
virtual desktops for instance.

It is very efficient for audio recording too.

Linium