[PD] Crash with Win2K...

Peter Warden pwarden at kushgames.com
Sat May 4 03:14:36 CEST 2002

Hi all,
	just a quick note on a crash I've been experiencing as I've been
trying to get GEM and some avi playing patches working on my new install
of PD.

After using a precompiled gem.dll (ver: 0.87), I compiled my own and ran
it through the debugger to try and track down the problem. Looks like
inside pix_filmNT::realOpen(), AVIStreamOpenFromFile() is returning
something non-NULL, but then AVIStreamGetFrameOpen() returns NULL. This
is then stored into m_getFrame, which then eventually causes a crash
down the line inside the render.

I'm guessing from MSDN that the NULL return value is because it can't
find a codec for the file? This I'm confused about because both
VirtualDub and Media Player are quite happy with the multiple avi's I've
tested it with.

Anyway, if anyone could shed any light on what's happening, I'd be very
grateful. For the moment I've added the following code after line 82 in
pix_filmNT.cpp, after m_getFrame = AVIStreamGetFrameOpen(..., and it at
least stops the crash from being fatal:

  if (m_getFrame==NULL) {
	  error("GEM: pix_film: Couldn't decompress file: %s",
filename);
	  return;
  }

I'm running on Win2K, SP2, GeForce3 Ti 200, Athlon 1700+, 512Mb. Let me
know if you need any more details.

Thanks,
       Pete