[PD] cpu-load

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon May 6 15:16:12 CEST 2002

günter geiger hat gesagt: // günter geiger wrote:

> On Sat, 4 May 2002, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > In RedHat 7.2,
> > I tried Pd 0.35 test 22 with my delta66 (same chip as delta44), Alsa
> > 0.9B10...  I have an 866 MhZ P3 with Intel I815E chipset...
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > pd  4%
> > pd -channels 4   5%
> > pd -alsa   < 1%!
>
> This means pd works multichannel with alsa ?
> is there a special alsa version required, I couldnt get it running
> with alsa0.9B10 and the  rme card.

This probably is the old RME problem of PD with ALSA, that I assume
lies in either PD's or ALSA's handling of the plughw layer in the
combination ALSA-RME. (0.9.0beta10, here as well, I should upgrade)

The ICE chipset on the Delta and on my Audiophile has a similar
problem: It can only do a certain combination of parameters in
hardware, and the usual CD file format doesn't work in hardware
without translation to the hardware format:

$ aplay -D hw:0,0 ~/loops/hmmbaby.wav
Playing WAVE '/home/freak/loops/hmmbaby.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo aplay: set_params:739: Sample format non
available

The plugin layer of ALSA does this translation:
$ aplay -D plughw:0,0 ~/loops/hmmbaby.wav
Playing WAVE '/home/freak/loops/hmmbaby.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

In PD the plugin layer doesn't work at all here, only the hw:layer
$ pd -alsadev hw:0,0            [Midiman: OK]
$ pd -alsadev hw:1,0            [SBLive:  OK]
$ pd -alsadev plughw:0,0        [Midiman: audio stuck]
$ pd -alsadev plughw:1,0        [SBLive:  audio stuck]

A strange thing is, that even using the hw:0,0 device, I have a
[samplerate~] of 44100. I don't know, what the samplerate at the
chipset is, though...

Unfortunatly I have no idea who to blame for these symptoms: ALSA, PD,
both???

ciao,
--
 Frank Barknecht                                  _ _______footils__