[PD] [admin] pd mailing lists....

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Tue May 7 10:25:41 CEST 2002

Hi,
mark hat gesagt: // mark wrote:

> I am not massively convinced that this is such a good idea -
> the traffic on this list seems fairly low to me and having
> to subscribe to and manage three separate lists seems like
> a lot of extra hassle.

I made a quick check, how much mail I got from various mailing
lists in this year, and pd-list is somewhere in the middle.  I got
most traffic on "debian-user-german", around 6.1 M gzipped, this was
followed by, sic!, "csound" with around 3.8 M gzipped!  Of pd-list I
have 1.9 M gzipped mails in my archive 2002 and this is about the same
amount as linux-audio-user (LAU) and linux-audio-dev (LAD) combined.

So I'll have to admit, that pd-list now seems to be on par with
linux-audio-dev had they not split off the linux-audio-user list!

But it's nowhere near csound, where people talk about everything from
"Stockhausen: genius or a*hole?" to "patch for new function table generator".

I'm not sure, what policy is best. I had been an advocate for the
creation of the LAU-list on LAD, but I also like the wild discussions
and the merging of developers and users on e.g. csound.

So I force my vote to be:

Don't split pd-dev and pd-users, but make an anouncement-list

ciao,
--
 Frank Barknecht                                  _ _______footils__