[PD] audio analyze ideas ?

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Sat May 11 03:01:22 CEST 2002

Fft would be useful – mapping the amplitude of bands of frequencies to
whatever (perhaps you’re doing this). You could also measure the centroid,
which correlates to a brightness measure of the sound. From the centroid you
can also determine the “bigness” of sound ie. how “full” it sounds at a
given moment. – I’ll look thru some of my code and forward the maths – its
simple but I can’t remember this early in the morning – and it shouldn’t be
too hard to write as a patch (and not in C). You could also determine the
“segmentation” of the sound using env~ ie. finding out where phrases begin
and end, the length of phrases etc. Think someone out there has written a
rhythm estimator patch or external which could be handy.

Cheers, iain