AW: AW: xsample~ & was Re: [PD]

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Tue May 14 13:47:52 CEST 2002

Hi,

> This is  really one of the main problems with C++, keeping it portable
> over several compilers, thats why I think it is preferable not  to
> use advanced C++ features.

It's obvious and i agree that the lack of portability is a serious problem.
On the other hand, i don't understand why linking C++ code (which is
exported as standard C) to a C library (like compiling xsample for pd) poses
a problem... can anyone give me indications about the problems with xsample,
gem and pd?
The only cross-compiler-problem that i can imagine by now is the linkage to
the standard C++ libraries.

> I know that C++ geeks would not agree with that attitude, because
> its fun using the advanced stuff..

It's not (merely) about fun.
It's also about readability, modularity, time-saving, robustness.

greetings,
Thomas