[PD] books

Catharsis catharsis at egregious.net
Wed May 15 21:26:10 CEST 2002

At 02:53 PM 5/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>i've been doing a lot of experimentation with synthesis for a long time
>now, and i've even done some composing/performing of computer music.  the
>problem is that i keep running into walls while trying to programme my own
>composition systems, and i think it's because i don't have the background
>in music theory/synthesis theory that i need to really get into this
>stuff.. so my question is, can anybody recommend a good all encompassing
>book that will help me get the information i need?

This may be a no brainer, but if you don't have Curtis Roads' Computer
Music Tutorial it is worth checking out. Also, his new one Microsound is a
pertinent read. Both of these books cover a decent horizontal area and can
be found through MIT Press. Another book worth checking into is Musical
Signal Processing (edited by Curtis Roads + others). Try the Swets web
site... www.swets.nl  Outside of these perhaps some DSP books would be
appropriate to look into.

I am just getting around to checking out PD. I have been meaning to for a
while. I have yet to dig into it... ;)  I didn't see a digest version of
this email list when signing up; is there one?

Best,
--Mike

Egregious
"Spiritual renewal through music for those outside the heard."
http://www.egregious.net/