[PD] noise?

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Mon May 20 12:27:14 CEST 2002

Hello,

Why does PD generate noise?

Let me explain:  I'm currently using the onboard soundcard (ASUS motherboard with a c-media audiocard).  I don't experience any unwanted noise when I use Cool Edit Pro, Windows Media Player, etc.  for wave playback.  But the instant that I open PD...i get noise!  (a buzz and a hum somewhere around 800 hz).  I close PD, the noise goes away.  I open PD, the noise comes back.

Is PD generating this buzz?  or are the drivers?  or is the c-media DSP?

If I buy a MOTU 828 (or some other interface) will that noise go away?

If I use ASIO drivers instead of the standard drivers, will that noise go away?

p.s.: I'm using Windows XP.

Many thanks.
Dave Sabine