[PD] [problems] Dynamic loader on OSX

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Wed May 22 04:09:05 CEST 2002

hi,

i kept trying to set up PD on OSX
and found several errors i made yesterday :

 > keyboard problems
 > it doesn't seem to catch "~" from the french iBook layout

still.

 > missing <apple>C/<apple>V for cut & paste

<Ctrl>C,<Ctrl>V are working instead.

 > a/ although i start it with the command :
 >
 > "pd -path externs"
 >
 > and that my objects are all there ( in externs/*.pd_darwin ),
 > it seems that after one loading or two,
 > the path is lost and it doesn't find my objects anymore...

OOOOPS, MY very fault, i used relative paths here
and that was the cause of these errors.
BUT it's misleading because the first patch
could be loaded without errors,
it shouldn't have been able to load ANY patch
knowing my configuration.
well....it's fixed.

 > b/ the dynamic loader also firmly refuses to load two objects
 > which define the same symbol..... too bad....
 > all LADSPA plugins define the same routines....
 > they won't load....yes, the good news here
 > is that i compiled LADSPA plugins for OSX
 > and even the plugin~ which needed some modifications.

to have this working, one should change linking options
from :

-bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace

to :

-bundle -undefined error -twolevel_namespace -bundle_loader
/usr/local/pd/bin/pd

the "two level namespace" indicates that
different symbols are generated for symbols
found in different libraries.

well, i must return to the port
because plugins and MP3 are still
not working.