[PD] gem .87 compiling under linux (downloaded today)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Thu May 23 11:29:31 CEST 2002

Hi !

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> No I searched for papi.h with "find" and the only papi.h was in the
> old gem-0.86 directory. got missed somehow? I downloaded today.
>
> tar -t -f ~bbogart/gem-0.87.tgz | grep papi.h
> returns nothing, no papi.h

sure it does not!
the auxiliary libraries (now called GemLibs instead of AuxLibs) are now
separated from the Gem-distribution.
i always found it annoying that i had to download huge pieces of
code/binaries (esp on windoze) that were almost never changing.

as you could see on http://iem.kug.ac.at/GEM there is this ominous
GemLibs-0.1.tgz package

> Also has it now just become standard to name these distros .tgz even
> though they are not gzipped?!

this is due to the browser you are using (konqueror ??): the files are
gunzipped automatically.
use something more sophisticated like "wget"