[pd] shell and ongoing processes

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Sat May 25 16:20:35 CEST 2002

>  yes, I am using netsend/receive, but the program on the other
>end, piping the pdreceive into the program and forwarding the
>output via pdsend back to PD, needs to be started. If this
>were possible from shell, or otherwise from inside PD, then
>I could have small units that started the piping chain within
>the PD patch rather than having to start it myself from the
>command line.

i've made a little test script ( here attached )
that does the lauching of pdreceive
and then communicates with pd.

it DOES stay alive and the problem is rather
that the process is not destroyed when i destroy
the shell object, that's why <defunct> processes
appear ( the father ( shell object ) is dead
and the script is still alive ).

then you cannot launch a new instance
of your script if the former one holds
an exclusive ressource ( like a port number ).

in my example, this luckily works but
this is surely unclean...

cheers,

yves