[PD] $n interpolation

eli+ at gs211.sp.cs.cmu.edu eli+ at gs211.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 29 03:49:01 CEST 2002

Hello, all.  I've just started using pd, and haven't really gotten
into the groove yet.  One question to start with... in an abstraction
I tried to create "send $1-channel-$2", but it seems what this does is
substitute for the $1 and leave the $2 a literal "$2".  Is this a bug
or a feature, and does it have a workaround?

More broadly: since this doesn't work, it must not be idiomatic pd.
What's the usual way to do this kind of thing?  For context, I was
building a little grid sequencer, where each cell has three parts: a
"source" abstraction, a message box which the user edits, and a
"sink", which handles the messages in various ways.  And when the sink
saw a particular kind of message, it wanted to pass some data along to
that "$1-channel-$2", where $1 is the name of the sequencer (to allow
multiple ones) and $2 is the channel this cell is on.

--
     Eli Brandt  |  eli+ at cs.cmu.edu  |  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/