[PD] Live Video/GEM question

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Fri May 31 01:06:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

I've been browsing through the PD_list archive and it seems that the following questions are still unanswered. (And I'd like to hear some discussion from PD users about it)

What is the best way to run a live video feed through GEM on a Windows XP machine? (or any windows machine for that matter?)

Is there a 'best camera' to use?  Should it be USB or other?  (Logitech or Intel USB quickcams?!  or should a person use coaxial 'surveillance' cams?)

If pix_video doesn't work properly in Windows (as explained in an earlier PD-list message), what other objects can be used to display live video feed?

In past discussions, there is mention of pix_video not running properly in Windows because of Windows' particular method of naming video devices.  I haven't seen any other messages in the archive which clearly say, "I am using 'x' camera with 'x' video capture card with GEM (or other library) and IT WORKS!."  Instead, most of the messages I've read only explain problems or incompatibilies.

I ask these questions because I'm interested in purchasing a camera (but I don't know WHICH camera will undoubtedbly work with GEM on Windows XP) and displaying live video in the GEM window along with various other GEM creations.  Does anybody have experience with this?

Many thanks
Dave Sabine