[PD] Live Video/GEM question

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri May 31 14:27:41 CEST 2002

Johannes Taelman wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, David Sabine wrote:
>

>>I've been browsing through the PD_list archive and it seems that the
>>following questions are still unanswered. (And I'd like to hear some
>>discussion from PD users about it)
>

> Me too!
>

>>What is the best way to run a live video feed through GEM on a Windows
>>XP machine? (or any windows machine for that matter?)
>>
>>Is there a 'best camera' to use?  Should it be USB or other?  (Logitech
>>or Intel USB quickcams?!  or should a person use coaxial 'surveillance'
>>cams?)
>

> USB and IEEE1394 have limited cable lengths (ca. 4.5m). This can be
> extended with the use of a hub or repeater. This may outrule USB and
> IEEE1394 in some applications.

clarification:
Gem does (still) NOT support IEEE1394 (eg. firewire) devices. i have
finally got new hardware (various ieee1394-cards), so i will soon (but
maybe not today or tomorrow....) be able to start the pix_dv thing again

people used to make USB-cameras working (at least under linux)
i have none so i have no possibility to try.

then, i have never managed to make my bttv-capturecard work with Gem
under w2k (i am not that expert on win32-platforms, but i never had any
problems under nt and 9x)
since i do not receive flaming emails about "w2k-support for bttv", i
guess that all other users have it running.

personally, i really like the "'surveillance'-cams" since they are so cheap

mfg.cds.adr
IOhannes