[PD] Changing vst~ controller values

Dave Payling d.payling at staffs.ac.uk
Fri May 31 17:19:39 CEST 2002

Hi

Though this may be useful to the group. Here's my original mail with a reply from Mark
  Hi

  I recently downloaded the vst~ object for PD which is great. I am hoping to use it with Reaktor to free me from the constraints of the Cubase piano roll type method of sequencing. Reaktor is running fine with the vst~ object.

  I have a small problem which seems insurmountable but which I am sure has a simple solution. I want to send a variable control message for adjust the Reaktor params, for example sweeping controller 1 from 0 to 127 to gradually open a filter, or some random variation on this. The only way to send this type of command to the vst~ object is by sending a message? This is where the problem starts - How do I send the message "ctrlchange 1 n" where n is going to change value? I have looked at 'qlist' and 'textfile' and 'pack' but they don't seem to offer a solution. The only work around I can see is to have a long list of bang messages each containing their own complete control message with a different control value and then indexing them through some kind of pointer. I am sure it has to be easier than this.

  Dave

  You probably want to ask this question on the list.

  The way you describe it is the way I would do it. See the attached
  patch for an example. You can then use something like textfile
  to squirt value/controller pairs into the message I guess or even
  use "line" to ramp values up and down against a given controller.

  There may well be better ways of doing it - I am not a particularly
  expert PD patcher by any means. Like you I use it to free myself f
  rom the constraints of Cubase style tools but I have got a lot to learn.

  Glad you find the object useful though

  cheers

  mark

The solution is to have a message that accepts inputs via the $ symbol. I can send you the demo patch from Mark if interested.

Dave