[PD]Creating noise in Gem

Jonathan Nelson phossie at eds.org
Fri May 31 18:28:07 CEST 2002

the way i've done this (in flash, of all things) is to create a nice
bitmap of ... noise.  make it about twice the width or height of the
display area, then move it across.  loop this.  because it's noise,
nobody's going to notice a pattern.  i don't know whether this is more or
less efficient than using actual noise (as far as pd is concerned), but
it's worked quite well for me.

the problem you might encounter is that it will look very precise, bitlike
(in pd).  any blurring method you can think of - like scaling it
suboptimally - will probably work.

-j