[PD] pddp - a proposal

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Sat Jun 1 03:45:34 CEST 2002

Hello all,

This thread seems to have died...I'd like to revive it because I personally
think it's very important.

I have an idea that might simplify the goals outlined in previous messages
in this thread.  There has been discussion in the past about creating a
web-based document; (myself and a couple of others suggested the possibility
of HMTL or the like); however, I've recently arrived at the opinion that
within PD itself is the best location to build a comprehensive
documentation.

Instead of creating a new resource (in the form of a web site or PDF or
whatever), I 'm making a motion that the existing resource be improved (in
the form of in-depth help documentation accessible through PD itself).

For instance, the best place to explain the usage, specifications, default
values, and possible arguments of - let's say - the "LINE" object is in
"reference/line.pd"

My reasons are simple:

1.  There are already a number of web sites devoted to PD (pure-data.org, Mr
Puckette's own site, Mark Danks site, IEM, and the list goes on).  Starting
a new site may result in yet another good but 'incomplete' resource.

2.  A web site or downloadable document is merely a few clicks away for most
users...but improving/revising the existing help documentation within PD is
literally one click away.

3.  Mr. Puckette's documentation is extremely helpful - however sometimes is
way over my head, and other times not complete enough - I'm of the opinion
that before any NEW resource is built, the existing files in PD should be
maximized!

See the attached file - in it I have proposed a format for the design and
layout of PD's supporting help files.  Note that I make reference to objects
that are not native to PD and I draw little or no distinction between 'bang'
and 'bng' (I don't they should be treated differently despite the fact that
'bng' is not native to PD - perhaps Mr. Puckette and others may disagree
with this ideology.)

Also note that you should feel free (with Mr. Puckette's approval of this
attached document) to replace the existing version of "bang.pd" and provide
this document in future releases of PD - Miller, that's your call!

Any thoughts?
Regards,
Dave Sabine