[PD] microtuning in pd?

Sam Watson sam at samwatson.com
Wed Jun 5 05:05:54 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "booey chewy" <booeyschewy at yahoo.com>
To: <pd-list at iem.kug.ac.at>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 4:55 PM
Subject: [PD] microtuning in pd?

> Hello, I am a newbie. I was wondering what sort of
> microtonality has been developed for pd. Ideally I

You should play around with the [mtof] command.  It converts midi note
number into frequency.  The great thing about [mtof] is that you don't have
to limit yourself to integers.  Thus:

[notein]
|   |
[spigot]

[* 1.33]

[mtof]

[osc~]

[dac~]

This would give you instant microtonalities.  It would just be a matter or
working on the math to convert key numbers to the number of steps you want
per octave or such.

The [spigot] in the example patch acts as a gate to only allow the note-on
note number to be sent to the synth by ignoring note of velocity 0.  Makes
for a better monophonic synth.

good luck and have fun!
Sam