[PD] [FONTS] tiny font

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jun 5 08:24:07 CEST 2002

Hi,
Andre Schmidt hat gesagt: // Andre Schmidt wrote:

> that linux install procedure for fonts doesnt hear so promising easy, huh :(

It depends, on what you're used to. Linux, coming from the
Big-Unix-Machine background, is very multiuser oriented. Installing
fonts isn't considered as something, a normal user should do, it's in
the responsibility of the system administrator.

Of course, in most home situations, the main user also is sysadmin.

> so theres no 1 "easy way" for all linux distrs to install fonts ?

Generally fonts are kept in a few font directories, that are not
writable by normal users. Installation in one of these is normally
really made easy by distribution tools, but it's not standardized. I
wouldn't bother with this in your position. There are many Howtos and
docs, that explain font installation in Linux, but it wouldn't make
sense, if you'd try to make a self-installing font package for all
Linuxes.

> is there a possibility to use NON system fonts in PD(tcl/tk) ?
> (means, using fonts direct from pd folder that are not installed in OS)
> [i think this would mean to code an own font driver/interface for PD, cpu
> loss?]

I still would prefer, if PD could somehow read, which fonts are
available and then let the user make a choice.

I made a quick google-search and I would like something like the
Font Dialog on this site:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/tcl/mwidx.html#fontdlg

Then I could install your font and decide on my own, if I want to use
it, or if I want to stay with the go'old Courier.

ciao,