[PD] [GEM] texture coordinates

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Jun 6 18:08:12 CEST 2002

Hi GEM people,

I've been playing with texture mapping in GEM and I'm a bit confused by the
way that the current texture coordinates are maintained or propagated.

That is: the [pix_coordinate] object clears the texture coords after its
following list nodes have rendered, but other objects which set the coords
namely [pix_movie] and [pix_texture2] do not clear the texture coordinates.
Furthermore, the [pix_texture] object doesn't touch the texture coordinates
at all.  This means that a texture coord mapping created with [pix_movie] or
[pix_texture2] but not [pix_coordinate] will apply to textures generated
using [pix_texture] that are applied in other gemlists.  This isn't useful
as far as I can see, in that the textures and images aren't propagated
across the gemlists.

Is this deliberate?
-OR-
Should [pix_texture] clear the texture coords itself before it renders?
Should the texture coords be cleared at each gemhead?
Should [pix_movie] and [pix_texture2] clear the texture coords after they
render?

Obviously, the workaround is just to plonk a [pix_coordinate] in each
gemlist, but that should be unnecessary, no?

BTW - I'm still really amazed at how much can be done with GEM.  Wow!

Thanks,
Daniel