[PD] tips

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sat Jun 8 10:29:09 CEST 2002

Hi,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> In playing around with PD, i'm finding that the patches i'm
> designing are coming across sounding too pure and clean. Does anyone
> have any tips for adding some kind of random crustiness to sounds?
> To get sounds that detune in an authentic analogue style, and
> filters which distort slightly at the low end etc. I'm trying things
> out like modulating with brown noise etc.  which is working fairly
> well, but I thought that maybe someone else is into the same
> aesthetic, and could give me some tips.

You might try to downsample some things a bit with the [block] object.
Some early digital synths or sample player didn't do CD-quality as is
the default in PD. Then you could build your own distortion with
simple waveshaping. An example patch is wsinstr.pd in my waveshaper
package from footils.org (not shabby/shaffy, the other one.) The
principle is, that you have an oscillator, say [osc~] The output from
that osc~ is used to lookup values in a table and the found
table-values then get send to the dac~. With different tables you can
get simple, but effective distortions.

And feel free to use ready-made plugins depending on your platform
(LADSPA/VST) for distortion/detune.

> Feel free to reply off list if this is not the appropriate forum for
> this kind of discussion.

It is a very appropriate forum here ;)

ciao,