[PD] [GEM] texture coordinates

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 10 11:42:09 CEST 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:
> ? wrote:
> >
> > Actually, why are there two texture objects, is there a reason
> > why this can't be done in one object ?
>
> well [pix_texture] does simply load a pixbuffer into texture-ram.
> it does know nothing about texture-coordinates. (these are handled by
> [pix_coordinates])
>
> [pix_texture2] does load an image into texture-ram as a sub-texture (of
> a black master-texture) with  coordinates set so it appear as a "normal"
> (full) texture.
> thus it enables you to use images that are not power-of-2 as textures
> without expensive rescaling
> it is copy'n'pasted from pix_movie.
>
> it might not be that elegant (as would be
> [pix_subtexture]+[pix_coordinates]) but i think it is easier for
> handling, since you do not need to know the size of the img.

Yes, thats really nice and important, because noone has power of two
movies, but it doesn't answer my question.

I am asking if this fact could not be hidden from the user.

I am thinking about a pix_texture that detects the image size and
behaves accordingly. Pix_texture2 does that, so why not throw away
pix_texture and use pix_texture2 ?

Guenter