[PD] pd 0.35 test 23 and 26

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 bbogart at acs.ryerson.ca
Thu Jun 13 22:04:32 CEST 2002

Hello all,

I've recently switched my debian system over to SUSE 8. I've noticed
quite a strange thing with running PD. On debian I had both test4 and
test23 working fine. Now in SUSE I can't get 23 or 26 to work, but test4
still works fine. I'm using the exact same OSS/Commercial driver on the
same hardware. PD compiles fine.

When I load test23 or 26 (after running soundon) I get no output to the
console. The gui comes up but it seems only the GUI works, no backend. I
can click on buttons which react but I can't load a patch, "exit" does not
do anything either. This happens both as root and as a normal user.

If I run soundoff then test23 and 26 do report not being able to open
audio. When PD test 23 & 26 freeze like this they do hold onto the audio
device (another process can't open the audio device):

couldn't open MIDI input device 1
couldn't open MIDI output device 1
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
/dev/dsp (writeonly): No such device
error: OSS: SNDCTL_DSP_CHANNELS failed /dev/dsp

test4 works fine, as it always did, compiled the same way. Let me know if
I can offer any more specific information about my configuration to help
resolve this.

Thanks
Ben

B. Bogart