[PD] PD-linux, OSS, 32-bit samples

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 14 09:15:25 CEST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Brian Whitman wrote:
> I have a cheapo OSS-supported soundcard in a 2.4 kernel linux and am
> trying PD-.35-26.
>
> I was getting pure noise on the outputs and "OSS: DSP format: wanted 1024,
> got 16" so I investigated. It seems the s_linux.c file doesn't handle
> cards (or older OSS apis, not sure) that don't support 32-bit samples.
>
> i.e. line 864 s_linux.c:
>     if ((ioctl(fd,SNDCTL_DSP_GETFMTS,&param) >= 0) &&
>     	(param & AFMT_S32_BLOCKED))

This is definitely my fault. I haven't hardcoded the ID of the RME
formats in the soundcard.h file of the kernel, now the same are taken away
by AC3 or so. ... The solutions are to change the
AFMT_S32_BLOCKED define at the start of s_linux, I have to do
so in my driver too, or to make pd runnable with the RME ALSA
driver, of even better with jack.

Guenter