[PD] pd 0.35 test 23 and 26

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 bbogart at acs.ryerson.ca
Fri Jun 14 15:36:53 CEST 2002

Hi Orm,

Well I managed to bugger up my debian distro (by doing things like
replacing already installed packages with versions I compiled myself)
Truth is someone here at work had SUSE and I thought I'd give it a try
since I wanted to start clean anyhow. I still run debian and home. I've
not completely tested SUSE yet, only been using for a few days now. What
version of SUSE where you using? The main reason I wanted to give it a
try is to have the latest "unstable" utilities right off the bat. X4.2
etc.. for the life of me I could not get SDL to work in debian, its
listed as being "installed" here in SUSE-land but I've not a chance to
work on it yet. I can't say I'm impressed with the RPM style package
management, never have been. I initially used debian because all I had
used was NetBSD and redhat really really turned me off linux. Things do
seem to be going well so far though. What user friendly parts of SuSE?
I've only used yast2... (and opted not to install kde, just running plain
old blackbox.) But now GLUT is giving me crap so we'll see what happens.

Debian is a great system, I really like it, I hope you have good
experiences with it.

Ben

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

> Hello Ben,
>
> I'm just curious: What wass the reason for switching from Debian to
> SuSE? I just did the opposite being fed up with all the supposedly
> user-friendly parts of SuSE, which made the whole system quite
> unhandy.
>
> --
> Orm
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 13. Juni 2002 um 16:04:32 Uhr (-0400) schrieb Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've recently switched my debian system over to SUSE 8. I've noticed
> > quite a strange thing with running PD. On debian I had both test4 and
> > test23 working fine. Now in SUSE I can't get 23 or 26 to work, but test4
> > still works fine. I'm using the exact same OSS/Commercial driver on the
> > same hardware. PD compiles fine.
> >
> > When I load test23 or 26 (after running soundon) I get no output to the
> > console. The gui comes up but it seems only the GUI works, no backend. I
> > can click on buttons which react but I can't load a patch, "exit" does not
> > do anything either. This happens both as root and as a normal user.
> >
> > If I run soundoff then test23 and 26 do report not being able to open
> > audio. When PD test 23 & 26 freeze like this they do hold onto the audio
> > device (another process can't open the audio device):
> >
> > couldn't open MIDI input device 1
> > couldn't open MIDI output device 1
> > opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
> > /dev/dsp (writeonly): No such device
> > error: OSS: SNDCTL_DSP_CHANNELS failed /dev/dsp
> >
> > test4 works fine, as it always did, compiled the same way. Let me know if
> > I can offer any more specific information about my configuration to help
> > resolve this.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ben
> >

> > B. Bogart