[PD] knoppix on cd / knoppix with pd

Comic Cuteness echolakeviewesatates at sbcblobal.net
Sat Jun 15 21:05:33 CEST 2002

after reading about knoppix on this list, I obtained the image. it's
truly the coolest! I attempted booting it on my compaq presario laptop,
not expecting much. at first knoppix prompted me for a video mode and I
should have ignored it and let it autoconfigure. I ultimately had to
reboot after that first false start. what a surprise when after
decompressing the second time and not straying from the yellow brick
road that I was looking at kde running on my laptop play an mp3 with
xmms. too cool. I'm not a big linux hack - I had it installed for about
6 months at one point but didn't get very far. knoppix is a great way to
mess around with linux without having to commit. plus it has WAY more
apps installed than I had when I used it last - actually, I just barely
learned how to install things..

I guess knoppix uses oss because it does sound configuration with the
red hat utility - if I recall you can't get really low latency with oss?
does pd even work with oss? I'd much rather use alsa, but you know what
they say about beggars. I know somebody mentioned this before, but it
would be amazing to make an audio oriented image of this. or I might
have to install linux. hehe

-Ian