[PD] we want threads !!!!

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Mon Jun 24 05:10:41 CEST 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, ydegoyon at free.fr wrote:

> hi, all,
>
> annoyed by some recurrent issues in PD, i made the following
> patches to PD's sources :
>
> d_soundfile.c : load the sounfile in a thread to avoid audio dropouts.
> this patch concerns the "soundfiler" object.
>
> s_inter.c : send messages to the GUI using a message buffer
> and a thread to avoid audio dropouts.
>
> this introduces a lot of threads and Miller
> objected once using threads is dangerous.
>
> so, if you like danger, you might try these....
> it's experimental still but with the help of some beta-testers,
> it might get consistent soon.
>
> cheers,
>
> sevy/yves

Wow! I hope these get accepted - particularly if you indeed have fixed the
GUI problem (it being not properly multithreaded, that is), this indeed
something everyone has been looking forward to.

Did Miller really object to using threads, saying that they're dangerous?
In what context?

Using threads *is* often quite tricky to get right, of course.

Larry