[PD] recursive patches?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 25 18:53:28 CEST 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Guilherme Carvalho wrote:

> If you need just a finite number of recursions, you might be able to send
> your abstraction's outlet(s) to another instance of it. You'll have as many
> instances of the abstraction as you have "levels" of recursion.
>
> I used that to build fractal paths in space (Koch curve), and I still can't
> figure out how I would do it without recursions (I wanted to choose the
> refinement of the curve every time).

You can do iterative execution using one object connected to itself,
normally through a variable-object. At every bang, the contents of the
variable goes through the circuit and comes back into the variable as
something else. You send several bangs and after any number of them you
can look at the variable's contents.

There are three iterative patches in GridFlow (a jMax plugin): the Julia
Fractal, the Game of Life, and the Fire; they rely on a similar looping
(just a little more complex).