[PD] Trying to get pix_movie to run under Linux

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Thu Jun 27 15:19:09 CEST 2002

i have posted an answer before, but i think it was sent to Jim only

Ulrich Kehrer wrote:
> on my debian gnu/linux system i made the experience that quicktime
> movies should be compressed with photo jpeg or motion jpeg-a,
> other codecs are not yet supported.

this is different here.
the problem is, that Gem seems to have been compiled without
quicktime/mpeg-support.

so: you have to have one (or more) of the following DEVeloper-packages
(headers + libs) installed before running configure and make:
libquicktime4linux
libmpeg
libmpeg3

the configure searches for headers/libs in the standard-paths (likely to
be /usr/include resp. /usr/lib). if these files (like
quicktime/quicktime.h) cannot be found, Gem will be compiled without
film-support for that format.
you then get an error like "homer.avi does not appear to be a supported
movie".

you can check whether your libraries are detected by looking at
configure's output:
if there is a line like
"checking for quicktime_open in -lquicktime... yes"
you will get quicktime-movies loaded (with the limitations pointed out
by Ulrich). if it reads "... no" you will have no support.

note also, that mpeg and quicktime-files only work under linux while
avi's will solely load under windos.

for quicktimers: you will also need the GLib-library (libglib) to avoid
many undefined symbols when loading Gem

mfg.fasd.sadr
IOhannes