[PD] Converting input signal into a MIDI note value

Robbie Baldock rcb at easynet.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 16:34:22 CEST 2002

Hi -

I joined the list yesterday and this is my first post!

I've been a Java programmer for 5-6 years now but am very new to the
whole world of MAX/MSP and Pd.  Being a PC man I have Pd and jMax
running on my machine at home.

One thing I'm really keen to do is figure out how to get the dominant
frequency from a signal coming from an external sound source and
convert this in real time into a MIDI note value.

I've got as far as figuring out that this involves use of [adc~],
[fft~], [ftom] and [noteout] but I can't figure out exactly how to do
it.

The main problem I think is getting a frequency value from [fft~]
which doesn't seem to do this out of the box.

Does anyone have any example patches (Pd or jMax) or online resources
which explain how to do this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

Robbie Baldock
Chief Scientist
Aleatory Music Systems