[PD-dev] alsa rme pd again

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Aug 13 15:00:31 CEST 2002

Hello Günter,

Am Dienstag, den 13. August 2002 um 11:15:58 Uhr (+0200) schrieb günter geiger:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> > I got the new RME card and since jack doesnt't work properly on my
> > laptop,
>
> What kind of problems do you have ?

I get nasty xruns everytime, my system accesses the disk (appr. every
3-4 secs). I posted this to the jackit-dev list and Paul Davis replied
stating that jack is intended as professional (sic!)  solution with
very low latency, that he's using SCSI therefore and he didn't seem to
care a lot. BTW: Increasing the period size doesn't help. I'll give it
another try with a low latency patch applied to my system (Debian with
2.4.18). Maybe that fixes it. But for installations or concert
situations I need a reliable system which works unattended for days
and therefore prefer the direct way, where pd just grabs the driver.

> The ALSA code in pd is just missing the direct way, that is, sending
> non-interleaved samples.

Are you sure, ALSA can handle this? I thought, ALSA doesn't work with
uninterleaved samples. If that's the case, I'd much prefer the direct
way of course.

Who can help in that respect? ALSA documentation is still hardly more
than nonexistent and the API far from straightforward.

--
Orm