[PD] keyname win / linux

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 15 08:47:40 CEST 2002

Hi,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> new problems: another difference between win(dos) and lin(ux) is the behavior
> of the keyboard. if i hit a key and hold it down, then windows gives up, up,
> up.... down. but linux reports up, down, up down, up, down .... (don't
> laugh!). in this case i like the windows way more.

It's the Xserver's autorepeat option, that's responsible for this on
Linux/X. You can turn it off with
$ xset r off
and on again with
$ xset r on

> has anybody already an idea how to deal with that? perfect would be
> a "1" if the key is hit (no matter how long i hold it down) and a
> "0" if it is released.

If you have autorepeat on, there's nothing you can do, because even if
you hold a key, the Xserver itself presses and releases it
continuously. And having "xset r off" is really annoying, if you want
to type something, and the Backspace key refuses to start running...
But you can disable autorepeat only for a specific set of keys, for
example only for the keys F1-F12.
$ xset -h
 [...]
    To turn auto-repeat off or on:
        -r [keycode]        r off
         r [keycode]        r on
         r rate [delay [rate]]

The keycode is found with xev, and to un-repeat F1, I would issue:
$ xset -r 67
Or you could raise the delay, after which the autorepeat starts.

I don't know, how W32-systems handle this, but it probably is one of
the things, that are rather different between OSes and there's
not much, PD can do about it. Font handling is a similar area...
ciao