[PD] Local "variable" names question + messages

JaReK myszewsk at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Aug 19 04:28:02 CEST 2002

Hello. I'm working on a composition project that uses probability (markov
chains) approach + more stuff.

I was trying to build a 'generic' object that would consist of 3 tables
(arrays actually) which hold (pitch #, velocity #, duration #).

Suppose I name this object (patch)   'pattern'

Now, when I create new project (new pd patch), I can insert the newly
created object using the    'pattern p1' 'pattern p2'  etc technique.

To make sure that the table names in each 'pattern' instantiated do not
conflict, I used the $1 technique as part of array names.  ($1-pitch,
$1-velocity etc).  Now, when I set up all the 'patterns' and play things
work fine.

Problem is, how to store what I did set up, esp. taking into consideration
that there may be 15 patterns instantiated.

I attempted to write to files the contents of arrays using the message
object,
however, when I reference $1-pitch.txt inside a message box (as a
filename I wish to write to), there's a
problem. $1 no longer pertains to the name I gave to the 'paattern', it
pertains to the message context itself (I'm not exactly sure to what).

Is there a way to get around this context issue? How to pass the the
message box the name of patch this message box resides in?

I'm trying to build
a generic object that I may reuse. Of course, quick fix is to make all
array names distinct numerically (array1 array2 etc) - however - in a long
term, that solution is not very professional (headache).

thanx for suggestions
Regards
Jarek

  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
			  not sure about the former."

			     - Albert Einstein