[PD] Local "variable" names question + messages

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Aug 19 09:00:22 CEST 2002

JaReK hat gesagt: // JaReK wrote:
> I attempted to write to files the contents of arrays using the
> message object, however, when I reference $1-pitch.txt inside a
> message box (as a filename I wish to write to), there's a problem.
> $1 no longer pertains to the name I gave to the 'paattern', it
> pertains to the message context itself (I'm not exactly sure to
> what).

$dollars in messages and $dollars in objects inside of an abstraction
(pattern.pd) are two different things. $1,$2,$3.. in a message always
get the values of incoming messages.

 [Hi Jarek( ---> [$2 $1(---> [print]
prints
 Jarek Hi

The solution is to store the abstractions argument in a float or
symbol object and send this one to the write message.

ciao,