[PD] joypad as controller

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Tue Aug 27 17:22:09 CEST 2002

Hi,
electrobass at gmx.net hat gesagt: // electrobass at gmx.net wrote:

> found this nice program to easily control pd with a joypad via midi, works
> quite good...for those who don`t speak german, just download it, it`s
> selfexplaining...
>
> http://loopstation.glizz.net/

For PD this Joystick->Midi converter wouldn't be necessary: There already
are two joystick externals, one in GGEE and one by J. Sarlo. BTW:
Which one is better? I only used the one in GGEE yet. It's strange,
that Reaktor seems to miss a Joystick interface, if I understand this
correctly.

Directly reading the joypad's data has the advantage of higher
resolution. Joystick sticks go from +32767 to -32767 here on linux,
uncalibrated.

While we're at it, I recently said on pd-ot that I would like to try a
Beatmania PSX controller in PD, and now I did, because my PSX->USB
converter arrived. While it did indeed work in PD (with GGEEs joystick
object) it wasn't quite what I expected. Because the nice looking
scratch pad on my Beatmania controller in fact is just a one-axis
button with two directions but no scaling value that tells, how far
you have scratched.

Now I'll go and buy a dance mat ;)

ciao