[PD] name collisions, namespaces ..

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Aug 28 19:02:16 CEST 2002

hi again,

my point was mainly about lazy users putting plain [matrix~] in
a patch, and then other users opening the same patch in a Pd
session having different library loaded.  So the whole namespace
idea would fail, unless the library marking is saved in a patch,
even if it is not visible in an object box.  Thus, the needed
changes to the Pd design and coding involve more than simply
modifying the library loader.

But there is yet another point -- about users just being puzzled
by various meanings of simple words such as 'matrix~' or 'counter'.

Btw, matrix~ is an msp class too (however not in the cyclone yet).
 From this probably follows (but it is not for me to judge), that
this name could very well become 'reserved' for a 'compatibility'
class.

Krzysztof