[PD] questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 31 16:30:09 CEST 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:03:41PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > > 'undo' is less than a year off I think...
> > well, 'undo' is not so tough a feature to code...
> The difficulty to code something isn't the only factor in actually
> getting code written.

I know, I know. I only have to look at my TODO lists for my projects to
see what you mean. OTOH, I often take into account that there are features
I've been told there is an interest in. So the essential message here is
"undo is cool and useful. pleez add it."

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, mark wrote:

> > 'undo' is less than a year off I think...
> "well, 'undo' is not so tough a feature to code..."
> Hmm - you clearly have never written an undo before.

search on google: matju undo; the first result is:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/12752

which hints that I may have written one on 17 March 2001...

I'll fetch the URL for the source for you:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/lib/metaruby/UndoQueue.rb?rev=1.3

adds methods #undo,#redo on imitations of the builtin Array,Hash,String
classes of that language. there's one queue per object by default but you
have an option to share queues so that, for example, you have one undo
queue per document, where a document is a tree of basic datastructures...

> I have implemented one or two over the years and they are a total
> bugger to put it politely. Most of the info is there and straight
> forward but you end up finding the odd piece of vital information is
> hard to come by. mark

I think I'll need a vital piece of information to understand what you mean
in this paragraph.