[PD] questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 2 03:26:10 CEST 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Olaf Matthes wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard schrieb:
> > another question: is it still true that a non-left inlet may only define a
> > single method? is there some kind of workaround for that?
> Yes and yes. You can't do it the 'normal' way, but Thomas Grill recently
> showed me how to create a 'proxy inlet'. You could have a look at the sources
[...]

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Thomas Grill wrote:
> Hi Mathieu, It's only a sketch, actually fragments from flext code.
> good luck, Thomas
> As stated before, you need proxy objects which (actually their method)
> receive the messages for the non-left inlets.
[...]

Thanks to both of you. I have created proxy objects and they work.
GridFlow 0.6.2 will include the Ruby<->PureData bridge I've written.
However it crashes after a while due to memory corruption, which I don't
have while running with the other bridge or running standalone.

Also I don't know how to correctly tell to PureData that the object should
be greyed out and disabled. What I do in the Ruby/C++ part is I raise an
exception in the constructor. I catch that exception in the bridge and I
call pd_error()... that leaves a gui object with 1 inlet and 0 outlets,
invariably, and if i send a bang in that outlet, i get:

error: ruby NoMethodError: undefined method `_0_bang' for false

where 'false' is Ruby's interpretation of a null pointer.

in jMax, calling fts_object_set_error() is sufficient to grey out an
object.