[PD] [OT] Sensitivity to timbre and adequacy of instruments to musics

Nicolau Werneck nwerneck at cpdee.ufmg.br
Mon Sep 2 19:36:33 CEST 2002

Hello, people.

Sorry if I'm off-topic, but I think maybe I could reach people here who would
be interested on this.

I'm beginning a research at my university, and I'm looking for comments and
suggestions from other people.

The research goal is to catalog correlations between kinds of music (that
is, musics with similar structures) and the timbre of instruments that are
selected by people to play them. Basically, we are going to play computer
generated music to listeners, and ask them if the instrument used is
adequate to the music. We expect to find, for example, that surf music is
better with a lot of reverberation, punk rock is better with a lot of
overdrive,  blues is better with just a bit of overdrive, and so on...

The project will be developed in two parts: first we will measure the
sensitivity that people have to variations on the parameters of the models of
the effects. Then we will play the musics, and find the correlations.

It looks like the worst problem we will find is on the composition of the
musics. I'm thinking about finding stochastic models to various styles of
music, and than program a music generator. Does anybody here have any
experience on generating random music in PD?  What would be the best
approach? Making an external program that export the song in MIDI, and
bring it to PD?

...Thank you, bye!!

--
Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck at cefala.org>         E073 FADE 7B75 5482 5631