[PD] [OT] Sensitivity to timbre and adequacy of instruments to musics

mark mark at junklight.com
Tue Sep 3 16:44:01 CEST 2002

Ah - found your question.

First and foremost I am not sure computer generated music is the way to
go - it would be far easier to get a musician to record some MIDI files
for you and then you can play them back in different ways - presumably
there are plenty of musicians in a university...

failing that I would expect you will have to make different models for
the different types of music. The Markov Chain approach will work
for some of them but it misses out huge chunks of what different music
types are about - for example punk is musically very simple but what
stops if being dull as dishwater is the anger and energy put into it
by the performers - computer generated punk is probably a lot harder
than generating something like Bach or Phillip Glass style music which
is
more about the structure and composition. Like wise the blues is very
simple musically but is about the experience of the musician - I would
suggest
that computer generated blues would be very close in experience to
"Richard Clayderman plays..." (elevator music of the lowest kind)

cheers

mark