[PD] bugs and question

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Sep 6 09:28:36 CEST 2002

hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
 >>From the jMax 2.5 source:
 >
 > FTS_API void fts_atom_type_register(fts_symbol_t name, fts_class_t *cl);
 > FTS_API int fts_atom_type_lookup(fts_symbol_t name, fts_class_t **cl);
 >
 > I don't know why PureData does not get added something like this.

perhaps this 'minimalistic' attitude is one of the reasons, why Pd
is (still!) a reliable performance tool...

 > Well, foreign classes either won't get the message, or else they most

if they happen to use the same selector, they would get it...

 > symbol table _flooding_. This is usually a not-nice thing to do, as it is
 > for all practical purposes a memory leak (symbols are forever). However if
 > that slows down PD's symbol table lookup, then that lookup function is
 > _badly_ _implemented_ and should be rewritten.

do you mean, that one can write a lookup function having a constant
execution time, regardless of a symbol table size?  Could you give
me a pointer?

Krzysztof