[PD] Py extern : WOW !!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 10 02:35:28 CEST 2002

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Thomas Grill wrote:
> - Objects made from Python scripts are great for experiments, sketching
> functionality or really quick-and-dirty stuff for instant use. If you want
> to do serious work in a real-time domain it won't save you from coding your
> externals in C, though. I didn't do any tests how the garbage collection
> influences the response time of the pyext objects.

I don't know, does python 2.2 have full-blown garbage-collection now, or
just the patched up ref-counting it had last time i checked? Ruby has
mark-and-sweep which is often quite nice, except for the lack of
realtimeness. Ruby authors often talk about a multipart mark-and-sweep,
which would be much more realtime, but i expect to wait another year.

> - I'm still not too sure whether Python or Ruby is the better choice..... it
> seems ruby is more dense and powerful but Python has the clearer syntax and

That Python has clearer syntax is an opinion many people don't share.

> much much more libraries to use. Once, if a have too much time, i'll
> probably do rb/rbext externals as well....

Talk to me when you do wish to work on that, because I've already written
it. It's not as sophisticated as yours (and is currently right in the
middle of a migration from C to C++) but I have one extra feature:

	the same Ruby code works in both PureData and jMax.