[PD] scaling pix_draw in GEM ,and GEM performance question

Jim Ruxton cinetron at passport.ca
Tue Sep 10 10:05:54 CEST 2002

Hi,

I am having trouble scaling images using pix_draw. I thought I could
scale an image using scale or scaleXYZ before pix_draw but it seems like
these objects   have no effect. I can scale an image by texture mapping
onto a square and resizing it but I find it is slower than pix_draw in
this case. When rendering movies I've found  that texture mapping is
faster but the image is more distorted. I'm using GEM 0.87 under Linux.
Is this a problem with pix_draw or is it supposed to work this way? I
have a fast processor ( 1 GHz) a good video card (Nvidia 2Go) and I find
movies are playing  quite slowly. I only have 128 MB ram. Just ordered
another 256 MB hoping this will speed things up. Wondering what other
people are using to get realtime playback with MPEGs in Linux?
Thanks,
Jim