[PD] scaling pix_draw in GEM ,and GEM performance question

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Tue Sep 10 20:10:49 CEST 2002

I second guenter's post about not having hardware GL working.  did
you get the nvidia drivers off the nvidia site?  the ones that come
with the linux distros are not the real drivers.

also, what size are these textures?  and how many do you have?  you
could be running out of vram if you are trying to use a lot of large
textures.

you are obviously using a laptop (geforce2go) so the hard drive could
be slowing you down if it is full or you are trying to load massive
amounts of data like 640x480 uncompressed movies or lots of files at
once.  also i find that sometimes dma transfers are off by default in
linux.  check man hdparm and
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html for
more info.  this can make a big difference in disk transfer speed.

as far as the image distortion goes, this could be a case of resizing
the texture to a power of two.  i'm pretty sure that GEM supports
non-power of two textures tho...

for resizing: mapping the movie onto a quad and resizing/scaling the
quad should be the fastest method.

cgc