[PD] "? about "border 0" with gemwin

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 13 13:39:00 CEST 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Jim Ruxton wrote:
> Thanks Guenter,
> This suggestion did exactly what I was looking for. I noticed when I use
> the " border 0" option with gemwin I can no longer bring other windows
> in front of the GEM window. Is there a way to still use "border 0" and
> have access to the windows beneath the GEM window. Also is it possible
> to open more than one GEM window? Thanks again.

GEM's "border 0" relies on X11's override_redirect feature, which bypasses
the window manager (by just telling it to mind its own business). This has
the side-effect of not putting any borders around, but also means you
don't have any control anymore on that window, unless the window manager
allows you to takeover a window that does not behave (i have not seen
such a wm).

Another way to get a 0 border is with a window manager that lets you
configure buttons and borders. WindowMaker allows this, on a per-program
basis, and a per-window basis as well, and offers key combinations to
manipulate the window without the need for dedicated surfaces like
titlebar/buttons.

matju