[PD] locations in linux

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 13 20:05:27 CEST 2002

hi,
martin pi hat gesagt: // martin pi wrote:

> after all. this is in fact exactly the answer i
> feared. but my confusion arose of the fact that i
> once tried the debian pd release and never removed
> it - so i had two pds installed.

Yep, but double installed libraries are worse, IMO. I just yesterday
tried to compile "sweep", which needs libsndlib1 and thus I installed
the debs. But sweep's ./configure always found the old libsndlib0 in
/usr/local and compilation failed, until I found my error and removed
the /usr/local-library.

This is why I try to build even my local packages as Debian packages.
This way, newer debian packages override my old packages and deinstall
them automatically. A bit of reading in the dpkg-dev packages makes
building debian packages rather easy, although they are not policy
clean, but nobody cares here :)

ciao